Message from Chancellor Drew Bennett to Faculty and Staff
Happy New Year and welcome back! I hope you enjoyed your time off during the holiday break.
This edition of Bennett’s Bulletin includes information on the Hass-Darr Hall renovation project, two new early-degree offerings, the upcoming nursing accreditation site review, the Citizen Scholar award, upcoming Homecoming activites and faculty and staff recognitions.
Hass-Darr Hall Project Update
Hass-Darr Hall is starting to take shape and the project is progressing. Renovations are expected to be completed in mid-May.
Early-Degree Program Update
At its Dec. 14, 2017, meeting, the Board of Governors authorized the University to enter into a cooperative agreement with West Plains R-7 School District for the purpose of entering into a Memorandum of Understanding concerning the joint offering of an Early-Degree Program for the Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Technology – General Technology option and the AAS in Culinary and Hospitality Management.
The Early-Degree Program allows eligible juniors and seniors to simultaneously fulfill West Plains R-7 School District and Missouri State University-West Plains degree graduation requirements. The goal of this program is to provide a unique educational opportunity for academically meritorious high school students interested in a technical/occupational field of study or endeavor. Participating students attend classes at Missouri-State West Plains on Monday through Thursday and attend high school classes on Fridays. This program is similar in nature and structure as the dual degree program for the Associate of Arts degree in General Studies, which has been in effect for eight years.
Nursing Program Accreditation Site Review
Missouri State-West Plains will host a site review by officials with the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) Tuesday, Feb. 6, through Thursday, Feb. 8, for continuing accreditation of the Associate of Science in Nursing degree program. Details can be found on the News website.
Citizen Scholar Award
Micaela Wiehe, a May 2016 graduate of Missouri State-West Plains and a senior at Missouri State-Springfield, was one of six students who received the 2017-18 Citizen Scholar Award presented Dec. 14 by the Missouri State University Board of Governors. The award is given annually to students “who exemplify the concept of a citizen scholar.” She graduated magna cum laude with an Associate of Arts in General Studies degree with a Specialization in Honors from West Plains and transferred to the Missouri State University campus in Springfield, where she is on track to complete a Bachelor of Arts in Global Studies and a Bachelor of Science in Spanish with a minor in Latin American Studies. Micaela exemplifies the ideal citizen scholar through her academic work, participation and leadership in student organizations and her study abroad and international experiences.
Jan. 20: Grizzly Homecoming Activities
- Friends of Garnett Library Chili Supper, 4:30 PM, West Plains Civic Center Exhibit Hall
- Meet the Homecoming candidates, 6 PM, West Plains Civic Center Exhibit Hall
- Grizzly Basketball vs. Three Rivers Community College, 7 PM, West Plains Civic Center Arena
Faculty and Staff Recognition
- Cathy Boys, Jim Hart and Susan Turner, applied for and received the 2018 Mentor-Connect Project grant associated with the National Science Foundation.
Upcoming Events include the following:
- Jan. 10: Grizzly Basketball vs. Indian Hills Community College, 7 PM, West Plains Civic Center Arena
- Jan. 13: Grizzly Basketball vs. Mineral Area Community College, 7 PM, West Plains Civic Center Arena
- Jan. 19: Employee Recognition Luncheon, 12 noon, West Plains Civic Center Magnolia Room
- Jan. 25: Chris Jones, Hypnotist,7 PM, West Plains Civic Center Theater
- Jan. 27: Grizzly Trivia Night, 6:30 PM, West Plains Civic Center Arena
Thank you for what you do!
P.S. Remember that faculty and staff can get one free ticket per University/community program event. It is recommended that you pick up your ticket at the box office prior to the evening of the show.