Staff Senate Meeting Agenda
February 9, 2017
9:30 AM in Cass Hall Conference Room
a. Welcome new MSU-WP employees in attendance (Stanley Mulgeki, Rhonda Cobb)
II. Call To Order
III. Approval of Agenda
IV. Approval of Minutes (December 1, 2016
V. Chancellor Bennett Report
VI. President Report (Laurie Wall)
a. Administrative Council Report
b. President Elect Report- none
c. Secretary Report (Kileene Collins)
d. Treasurer Report (Jennifer Walker)
- Financial Report/Update
- Department/Committee Reports/Updates/Discussion
- VII. Old Business Discussion of mission statement. Revise Staff Senate Mission Statement- Michelle was working on this. I do not have a copy of it.
Current MSU-WP Mission Statement:
The Staff Senate strives to support the University’s mission of being a teaching and learning institution providing quality post-secondary educational opportunities to the communities we serve. The Staff Senate supports this mission by promoting the welfare and professional development of the University’s staff and serving as the staff’s representative to the campus community.
Current MSU-Springfield Purpose Statement:
The purpose of Staff Senate shall be to communicate the interests and concerns of a diverse University staff; to function in an advisory capacity in the development, review and implementation of University policies, which affect staff; to provide a means of communication with the administration, faculty, and students, and support them with the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the staff; and to create and nurture a spirit of unity among all employees at the University.
- Chili Cook-off on Feb. 4 (Bruce Cavitt) 1st place $150 won and donated to Staff Senate
- Diversity activities for staff senate meetings-Grayson Gordon
- New Business:
- There’s been a motion to grant Donna Bassham and Janet Surface for staff emeritus.
6.2.4 Benefits Available to Emeritus Employees
Emeritus status may be granted to retiring staff and administrative employees as a special recognition for exemplary work performance and outstanding, loyal, and dedicated service to the University. To be eligible for consideration for Emeritus status, the employee must be in retirement status, must have had 10 years of service in a full-time regular position, and must have the approval of the appropriate administrative officials and the Board of Governors. Emeritus staff members are listed in the Missouri State University Directory, are entitled to all the benefits previously listed for retirees, receive invitations to special events held throughout the year, and receive a President’s Parking Pass. (See Section 8.8 of this handbook for additional information about Emeritus status).
- Events- what are some ideas that we can do as a staff? Would you attend?
- Met with Rajiv Thakur on Monday, Feb. 6 to discuss ways to get Staff and Faculty together
- Excellence in Public Affairs award
- Faculty Senate letter share-Rajiv Thakur visit in March
- Excellence in Public Affairs Award nominations
Excellence in Public Affairs awards: The call for nominations is open for the Board of Governors’ Excellence in Public Affairs Award. This award annually recognizes faculty and staff who excel at carrying out the public affairs mission. From this main page you can read the short bios of the 2016 awardees and obtain the links to both the faculty and staff nomination procedures. The West Plains campus can submit one faculty nominee for the award. Faculty Senate will select the nominee and submit a nomination letter to Dean Lancaster by Feb. 10. Staff nominations are due Feb. 15 and there can be multiple nominations. Once the staff and/or faculty member is then notified of his/her nomination, that person can begin work on assembling the official application packet. March 20 is the final deadline for staff or faculty to submit their full application materials to the Springfield campus.
- AAUP with Jason McCollum-luncheon today
- Amend bylaws to have past president serve in advisory role for the following year’s president
- Habitat for Humanity-Volunteer efforts
- Staff liaison for faculty senate meetings and vice versa
- Victoria Howerton
- Wear jeans on Friday, Feb. 10 for homecoming
- Staff is encouraged to attend the basketball game and chili dinner Homecoming on Feb. 11 at 7 pm Chili begins as ?? pm
- Congratulations to Jennifer Walker for the Employee Staff Service Award, Donna Bassham and Janet Surface for retirement, Teresa Shipley, Cindy Bridges, Thora Broyles, Barbie Mustion, Pam Tate, Biff Bird, CJ Collins, Mary Kellum, Sally Robinson, Becky Estes, Angela Marcak, Deana Bell for 5+ years of service. Volunteer award:
Spring/Summer 2017 Meeting Dates:
March 2-AAUP (Jason McCollum & Rajiv Thakur to possibly speak)