Approval of Minutes:
- The meeting was called to order at 3 pm in L200 by President Grayson Gordon.
- STAC President Grayson Gordon led the discussion concerning STAC’s mission, goals and objectives statement for the accreditation self-study. After reviewing the current mission statement and objectives listed in the organization’s bylaws, the following mission/goals/objectives statement was adopted.
- To promote the welfare and professional development of university staff and serve as its representative to the campus community.
- Foster a spirit of unity and cooperation among all employees and the SMSU-West Plains community
- Enhance communication between faculty, staff, students and administration
- Communicate staff perspective in decision-making processes of SMSU-West Plains
- Serve as staff representatives on standing committees appointed by the chancellor
- Conduct periodic surveys concerning staff issues.
- Sponsor open meetings that serve as a forum for discussion of staff issues and as a method of disseminating information important to staff members
- Sponsor social gatherings and events to encourage camaraderie and participation among staff members.
- Provide welcome packets to new employees
- Review fringe benefits and make recommendations to appropriate decision-making bodies
- Operate a web site which provides information about the Staff Advisory Council and issues of concern for staff members
- Serve as the campus’ officials sponsor of Lee Denim Days
That Friday Thing:
- Board members unanimously decided that STAC will take over sponsorship of the monthly That Friday Thing from University Communications. Board secretary Vickie Taylor, who has been coordinating the event for University Communications, will continue to do so during her tenure on the board.
- President Grayson Gordon showed board members a copy of the Springfield campus’ staff survey concerning budget priorities. He told board members he would make copies of the survey and distribute them to board members for review. A similar survey would be helpful for budget discussions at the West Plains campus this year, as well, he said.
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month/Lee Denim Day:
- Lee Denim Day coordinator Kelly Becker said this year’s event is set for Oct. 4. She and former Lee Denim Day coordinator Laurel Driscoll will be canvassing faculty and staff across campus the first week of October to ask for $5 donations that will go toward the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer foundation. The event will be promoted on Take Note, with posters on campus and through a memo that will be distributed in the mailboxes.
- Board members agreed to host a chili luncheon on Oct. 4 to coincide with Lee Denim Day and to promote the upcoming STAC Executive Board membership drive. During the event from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm; those attending will be asked to nominate someone to serve on the executive board. President Grayson Gordon agreed to coordinate the event. Those who do not donate food, drinks or eating utensils for the luncheon will be charged $3 to eat.
- Because of the special board meeting on Sept. 17, the regularly scheduled executive board meeting on Sept. 24 has been canceled. The next STAC Executive Board meeting will be at 3 pm Oct. 22 in L200.