Say It Isn’t So….

You know that feeling. You wake up, and see the sun streaming through your curtains, you hear the birds chirping happily outside your window, and you think of all the things you are going to accomplish as soon as you get up….then you make a mad dash to the toilet and throw all of those wonderful, glorious things right down the john.

In the past, the best thing to do is to curl up on the cold, slightly disgusting bathroom floor and call out “Mooooooooooomb? MoooOOOOOOOOooommmb? I’mb sick!” For most of us at college, however, that call is either met with silence, or your roommate yelling, “Do you even KNOW what time it is? I am NOT your MOTHER and I SWEAR to GOD if you vomit on my stuff…! OH AND DON’T YOU DARE COME NEAR ME!”

I exaggerated a little here, most roommates would probably pat you on the back and give a tender, yet hesitant “there, there” before scurrying off to grab the Lysol and hand sanitizer. My point is, when you move out of your house, you don’t have your mom to stay up all night putting cold rags on your forehead and telling you what to eat, how much, and when.

Here are my tips:

1)     Don’t be afraid to go to the doctor. I’ve been to Urgent Care (MSU-WP pays for our visits, don’t we have an awesome college?) three times since last fall, and all of the doctors are just lovely and are there to help you out. In fact, when you leave they give you a packet of papers explaining in detail what your body is doing and how you can help it heal. (Do all doctors do this? Because it’s awesome.)

2)     Don’t be afraid to call your Momb, or whoever it was that used to take care of you when you were sick at home. They know what foods you like, and CAN eat, (which is a very slim list when you have the flu) how long to rest, and other small trade secrets.

3)     When you discover that you did have a contagious illness, disinfect everything you can before you have to hobble back to bed. Let your friends and teachers know to take a little more vitamin C than usual.

Being sick is no fun, but it is one of the things we have to get used to when living on our own. It helps to have amazing friends, family, and healthcare providers to help you along the way. (:

This entry was posted in Journalists, Myriah Mestas. Bookmark the permalink.