Title IV Authorizations FAQ

What is Title IV?

Title IV financial aid is federally funded aid such as the Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans.

Why do I need to answer these questions?

According to federal regulations, federal student aid will be applied directly to your outstanding University charges (tuition, fees, room, board, and other eligible charges on the student’s account) and in some cases you may be eligible to receive a credit balance (refund). A credit balance is created when the total federal student aid credited to your account is more than the total amount of tuition, fees, room, board and other eligible charges. By answering the questions in My Grizzly Den, you will or will not authorize Missouri State University-West Plains to manage the federal student aid on your student account.

You can use the refund to pay prior term charges up to $100 (fall, spring, etc.) You can use the refund to pay current term non-institutional charges, such as books, library or parking fines. You can have Missouri State University-West PlainsĀ hold the refund to pay for a future term within the academic year (fall, spring, summer). The hold will expire in late spring and any remaining credit balance will be mailed to you or deposited into your bank account. If you do not authorize Missouri State University-West PlainsĀ to hold the credit balance, the University must refund the credit balance within 14 days from the disbursement date.

Do I have to answer these questions every semester?

Unless you authorize the question allowing the hold of the refund, you will only have to answer these questions once. If you do authorize the hold, that question must be answered once per academic year.

What if I want to change my answer?

If you want to change the way you answered the questions, you will need to come to the business office and sign a form authorizing them to change how you want your account managed.

What do the questions say?

Question 1: Do you want to use excess financial aid to transfer funds to pay charges in addition to tuition, fees, room and board? Such charges may include books and library or parking fines. (If you have charged at the bookstore or think you might ever utilize that option with your financial aid credit, then you must pick Authorize on this question. Otherwise the University cannot allow you to charge books at the bookstore.)

Question 2: If you have any excess financial aid, do you authorize the University to hold up to $100 for a previous semester balance within the academic year? (This will only be done if you have been allowed to register for a future term and still owe up to $100 on a previous term. If applicable, this would allow the University to settle your prior semester out of any excess financial aid (up to $100 only). If you are agreeable to these terms, please choose Authorize).

Question 3: Do you authorize the University to hold any excess financial aid for future term charges? (i.e., if you want to receive all of your refund back as soon as it is available choose Do Not Authorize).

Where do I find these questions?

Go to My Grizzly Den on the My Enrollment tab and choose Financial Aid Awards.

Screenshot of My Grizzly Den screen displaying the financial aid awards channel

Next, choose the Resources/Additional Information tab. There you will see the information about the Title IV Authorizations and the Questions.

Screenshot of My Grizzly Den displaying financial aid authorization information

Screenshot of My Grizzly Den displaying the Title IV authorization choices

Once you have answered these questions, you do not have to do anything else. The business office will either apply the payment to your account or process your refund.

As always, if you have other questions or need additional help, you can contact the business office in Cass Hall.

This entry was posted in Informational, Technology, Web and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.