Kileene Collins, Bronwen Madden, Mary Kellum, Karla Bean, Sharath Rongali, Grayson Gordon, Alice Smith, Sheila Barton, Amanda Niemotka, Alyssa Collins, Caitlin Crouse, Lu Adams, Mary Maupin, CJ Collins, Sylvia Kuhlmeier, Kris Brinkerhoff, Michelle Branton and Chulapol Thanomsing
Chancellor: Dr. Bennett shared a “Year in Review” video, highlighting MSU-WP activities and accomplishments last year, with the Chamber of Commerce this week. On October 7, 2014, in the Civic Center theater, Cliff Smart and Dr. Bennett will be giving the State of the University Address. We have had a 3.3% enrollment increase while most other 2 year universities are down. In the last 7 years, our enrollment has increased 25% and state appropriations have increased 3%. Our new STAR (Student Access and Retention) program is an important effort for our campus. We have doubled the number of ethnically diverse staff and faculty and we’ve had a significant increase in student diverstiy on our campus. Dr. Bennett will be taking 6 students to China this year. He also shared this thought: If we look at our students as “The future” and look at ourselves, whether faculty or staff as, “Mentors” and follow this philosophy, we will keep students happy and successful.
Welcome New Employees:
- Glenda Ochoa, Assistant to Bronwen Madden at the Small Business Incubator.
- Coordinator, Mountain Grove Branch Campus (Full Time Staff). Internal. Conducting interviews.
- Dean of Student Services (Full Time Staff). On-campus intervies scheduled.
- Director of Information Technology Services (Full Time Staff). Offer extended.
- Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs (Full Time Staff). Application deadline 10/31/14
- Accounting & Entrepreneurship Instructor & Assistant Professor (Full Time Faculty). First date of consideration is 10/31/14
- Part-Time Technology & Social Media Support (Part-Time TAACCCT). Advertised in WP Daily Quill 10/3/14
- Instructor of History (Full Time Faculty). To be posted 10/10/14
- Food Services Manager (Full Time Staff). To be posted 10/10/14
- General Buyer, Drago College Store (Full Time Staff). To be posted 10/10/14
- Per Course Faculty Postings to be posted soon.
Sylvia Kuhlmeier asked if the Staff Senate can have an open forum to meet with candidates on some of the new positions to be filled. Emily Gibson reported there will be an open forum for Staff, with the Dean of Student Services candidate and we should be receiving an email regarding the dates, soon.
Capital Projects: Scott Schneider not present for report.
- TRiO has a new parking lot, handicapped accessible.
Flu shots will be given to MSU-WP campus community members on the following dates:
- Friday, Oct. 24 – 12:30 to 4:00 pm., Looney Hall Room 203
- Thursday, Oct. 30 – 9:00am to 12:30 pm., Looney Hall Room 203
- Mountain Grove – TBA
- Financial Aid – Scholarship application deadline 10/17/14
- TRiO is still taking applications for students.
- UCP – October 21, 2014 – 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. “The Lady With All The Answers”
December 7, 2014 – 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. The Polar Express
December 11, 2014 – 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Bah! Humbug!
Approval of Minutes:
- Motion to approve: Grayson Gordon
- Second: Becky Craig
- Approved: All
II. Old Business
- Habitat For Humanity is asking for Staff Senate volunteer group to help on November 1st. Mary Kellum will be sending out the detailed information.
Staff Dedication Wall:
- Looking for a vendor to make the plaques.
Book Club Common Reader “Garbology”:
- There is a link on the Staff Senate Blog page.
Battery Recycling Effort:
- Lu will be compiling the information on three options and an email will be distributed to Staff Senate to vote online.
III. New Business
Staff Emeritus :
- Sue Ingram has been nominated. Lu Adams made a motion to approve; seconded by Peggy Stacy; All approved.
Campus Chili Cookoff: Thanks to all that participated and contributed. It was a great success and we all enjoyed some really good chili and desserts! We collected $195 worth of donations!
- First place went to Rita Gordon
- Second place went to Grayson Gordon
- Third place went to Kathy Mann
Lee Denim Day:
- The group agreed to make our donations in honor of Veronica Mays. Chulapol is going to follow up to see about having that posted on our American Cancer Society team page, along with the total amount of contributions. Total amount will be shared as soon as it is all collected.
Staff Senate Chair:
- Alyssa Collins has been the West Plains representative for the past 2 years and asked if anyone else would like to volunteer for the next 2 years. Becky Estes stepped up and volunteered.
IV. Next Meeting:
- November 7, 2014 10:30-11:30am in the Cass Hall Conference room.