2020/02/13 – 10:30 a.m. Hass-Darr 100
- CJ Collins, Kileene Collins, Mike Scheidt, Sophia Skinner, Melissa Jett, Karla Bean, Cindy Staton, Jennifer Walker, Laurie Wall, Rachel Peterson, Sheri Mayfield, Julie Dulany, Donna Monticelli, Mark White, Alyssa Collins, Amber Carr, Alexandra Graham, Also visiting, Roy Crouch from GOCAT, Jeff Gettys, Springfield Staff Senate, and Josh Allen from Springfield’s HR department, via telecom.
Approval of Minutes:
- Motion to approve the December 2019 minutes made and seconded, motion carried.
Approval of Agenda:
- Motion to approve the Agenda made and seconded, motion carried.
Welcome New Employees:
- Cindy Staton, Financial Aid Dept.
- Roy Crouch, GOCAT:
- March 13 Teacher Placement Day at Gohn Hall.
- April 22 Build My Future Career Expo, at Civic Center from 9am – 2pm – aimed toward high school students for hands-on exhibits that will include construction, bricklaying, heavy equipment operating, welding, and virtual reality simulations. The SCCC is looking for sponsors, vendors, and volunteers. If interested, please contact Roy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text him at 372-372-1549.
- All are invited to tour the GOCAT facility anytime.
- Jeff Gettys, Springfield Staff Senate Update:
- The Springfield Staff Senate is open to more discussions regarding Supervisor Evaluations and half-day work days on Fridays in the summer.
- Their Staff Senate will have a presence during their on-boarding process, to invite the new employee to monthly meetings.
- Remind all staff to double check your pay stubs to ensure the proper deductions are in place.
- Enrollment is level with only two fewer students than last year.
- Dennis Lancaster is reviewing new programs, one being in the Behavioral Health field.
- Our goal is still recruitment and retention.
- MSU-WP hosted a joint meeting on Jan. 24 with representatives from MSU, MSU-WP, the City of West Plains, Ozarks Medical Center, and West Plains R-7 School District. Topics included continuing the GOCAT partnership, West Plains R-7 and South-Central Career Center LPN and Surgical Tech programs, MSU-WP Allied Health programs and partnership with OMC, the police substation on the MSU-WP campus and the City of West Plains solar farm project. It was an informative session for all parties involved.
- Regal-Beloit employees will get two years of benefits with us, if they choose to do so.
- Rachel shared a word search activity regarding “How To Say Hello” in other languages, in an effort to enable us to say hello to some of our International students.
- Granvil Vaughn nomination was brought forward, seconded, and motion carried.
- Honorary Degree nomination was brought forward, seconded, and motion carried.
President Elect’s Report:
- Not present, no report
- No report
- Items CJ will bring to his discussion with Josh Allen from Springfield’s HR:
- Pre-Onboarding process timelines.
- When WP employees travel to Springfield for a Dr. visit at Majors Health, they are required to use a sick day and they would like that policy to change to coincide with Springfield.
- Staff Senate Officers Nominations:
- Be prepared to discuss nominations at the March meeting.
- Fund Raiser Idea:
- Donna Monticelli brought forward the idea of instead of using our fund raising money for a scholarship, we develop a “Food Pantry”, to be utilized by students, faculty, and staff, as needed. It could consist of canned and boxed foods, personal hygiene items, laundry soap, etc… It was suggested when we have a potluck, all would be encouraged to bring a food pantry item, to help with replenishing. The group felt the money we currently have would better supply the development of a food pantry vs. a scholarship and it would have the ability to touch more lives other than just one student. All were in favor of this proposal and a committee was formed consisting of, Donna Monticelli, Laurie Wall, and Jennifer Walker, as Co-Chairs. Members also include: Mike Scheidt, Amber Carr, Sheri Mayfield, Alex Graham, and Cindy Staton. The committee will seek assistance from the Springfield’s food pantry committee and report back with their findings and ideas on how to proceed.
- Spring BBQ Competition:
- A survey revolving around the spring event will be available soon, to get a poll of interest and date options
- Red Carpet Days on Feb 21 & 28. Reminder the visitors will be prospective students and all are asked to put their best foot forward, greet them with smiles and make them want to pick us to further their education.
- Writing Lab:
- May 1 Renaming Ceremony at 2pm. The new name will be The Arch W. Shaw Foundation Writing Center, made possible from a generous donation from the foundation.
- Josh Allen will be visiting Friday and scheduling meetings with individuals.
- Feb 26 – 7 Powerful Practices to Lead Yourself: 8:30am Gohn Hall 211 (Register using My Learning Connection).
- Mar 25 – Communications Basics: 1:30pm Gohn Hall 211 (Register using My Learning Connection).
- Volunteer Opportunities:
- Home Show – March 6 & 7.
- Habitat for Humanity – Rachel Peterson has a list of work dates, if interested.
2/14 Friends of the Garnett Library Meeting and Luncheon 12:00pm – Lybyer 104
2/17 Presidents’ Day (No Classes/Offices Closed)
2/18 Homecoming Event – Dodgeball 6pm – Rec Center
2/19 Homecoming Event – Game Night – Hass-Darr Hall
2/20 TRiO Potluck – Garfield Hall 11:00am – 1:00pm
2/20 Homecoming Event – Game Night – Hass-Darr Hall
2/21 Red Carpet Day
2/21 Homecoming Event – Volleyball Tournament
2/22 Silent Disco – Civic Center
2/22 Friends of the Garnet Library Chili Supper
2/22 Grizzly Basketball Game (Homecoming)
2/26 “Harriet” Film – West Plains Civic Center 7:00pm
2/26 7 Powerful Practices to Lead Yourself: 8:30 to 11 a.m. Gohn Hall 211. My Learning Connection
3/2 Blood Drive with American Red Cross – 9am – 4pm – Lybyer 104-105
3/2 Stress and Time Management – 3pm – 4pm Melton 112
3/2 Polkadots: The Cool Kids Musical – West Plains Civic Center – 7pm – 8pm
For a complete and updated list of events please go to https://calendar.wp.missouristate.edu/month/2020/february